Question Advice on buying a used guitar?

Hey guys, got a question...

My local GC has a used MIM Nashville Tele that plays BEAUTIFULLY, and I really dig the sounds I can pull from it. Talking to the guys I know there, it turns out they bought it for too much coming in (it was originally listed used for $630. Way too high for a nash), but now their lowest possible price is $500.

A couple other GC's across the country have the same guitar for $400 and $419 respectively. Now here's the rub.

Do I take the risk of buying a guitar sight unseen to save the money, or do I buy the guitar I've played and heard? Will there be a big difference in quality between this Nash and another one in another state? I'm really torn... It would be nice to save the cash but I'm afraid another Nash Tele is not going to play and feel like this one...

advice?
    Last edited by floridagizzi; 04-25-2012 at 09:15 AM. Reason: punctuation

order the less expensive one. if you like it, win. you got the guitar cheaper. if you hate it, return it to that guitar center and buy the other one.
    the longer you wait, you have a chance of someone buying the other

Quote Originally Posted by iamjustin
    order the less expensive one. if you like it, win. you got the guitar cheaper. if you hate it, return it to that guitar center and buy the other one.
    the longer you wait, you have a chance of someone buying the other

this is exactly what i ended up doing. i got the GC in cali to knock off $25 too, so its a pretty significant difference.

as for the one i played and loved, took care of the issue of someone buying it. put it on layaway (which I can cancel at any time without penalty). i think its a win win situations

If you have the money then i'll advise that you purchase a new one but when you had no choice, you may do so and buy a used one provided that online purchasing should not be your option in doing so. Buying used guitars is less expensive than buying a brand new one, however, you must be very careful while choosing. In that case, find some additional tips that will serve you as guidelines in getting the best guitar.
    Last edited by glowdonnybrook; 10-26-2015 at 05:22 AM.

Buying a used guitar is advisable for an amateur player. However, it could have some risks for a beginner. But, if you think you still want a used guitar because you are on a budget, my advice is for you to bring along an experienced guitarists friend of yours to help you guide through the process of getting the best used guitar.
    Last edited by CarolCruz; 05-24-2016 at 01:03 AM.

Hi. I hope this one helps in case you're still buying.